Saturday, June 27, 2009
post) to find a box of baby clothes on my doorstep.
The note attached says, "Thought you may be able to use these as my
daughter outgrew them pretty fast. B (Linda's daughter - **insert
address from across the street**)"
Linda, Linda, Linda.... Not ringing a bell. B - hum isn't that Karen's
daughters name...didn't she have a baby in February? look across the
street...oh, Karens address is XX. OMG, is Karen's name really Linda??
Hot sweeps over me. Have called this lady the wrong name for THREE
years?!? She's outside, should I say something??? No wonder she never
hears me when I say her name in public....AK!!!
I ran over and said, "Tell B thank you so much for the clothes they
are the perfect size and season. By the way, your name is Linda?? For
three years I've been calling you Karen!" She laughed, "It's okay
honey no big deal." What, that's it?!?! You never corrected me?? f
course, I don't say that just smile back, finish my small talk and
rush back home.
I'm an idiot!
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
* Kenlee is an awesome nighttime sleeper. She'll go 10-5 (almost 6) every night. The problem is the hours leading up to that time. Lots of rocking, nursing and praying she'll just peter out! :)
* Kenlee, like her brother, HATES her car seat. Child spends most of the time screaming. I envy the women walking around with these happy children in infant seat. BAH!
* Holy heat! Its hot here in Texas, like, realllllly hot. Unfortunately, we haven't hit the worst yet. Ugh. My poor baby Kenlee has a terrible heat rash (also called prickly heat). It looks just horrible. and is all over her face and neck. It looks fine while she's calm or sleeping, but the moment she wakes up, gets upset or starts nursing...BAM red everywhere. I'm hurting for her. Sadly, the only thing you can do at this age is keep her inside, cool and dry. :(
* Kai, my sweetest boy....well, Kai has decided to get pretty darn ornery recently. I'm talking daily spankings. :( I knew it would come, but its so hard for me. But, eh, I had a little sister and I turned out fine!
* Kai has decided that naps just aren't happening. I think this is mainly due to the fact we aren't getting out and doing much. On days where he has been active, he naps - sometimes - but for the most part, its "quiet time."
* Kai is signed up for a few summer school sessions starting tomorrow. I know he's going to LOVE seeing his preschool friends again. I am looking forward to some time "alone" even if it is just at home.
* Nursing is going well. Its one of those things that you do because you love your child and its best - but it sometimes sucks! I love nursing, I was looking forward to nursing again, but I forgot just how demanding it is. I forgot how confusing it can be, is she getting enough, is my milk making her fussy, do i have enough milk stored, should i go pump right now, is this a growth spurt? and on and on and on....
* Kenlee survived her first Texas storm! :) Wednesday night we had a HUGE storm blow through town. It took out massive trees from almost every house on my street. I have to honestly say, I have never, in 29 years of living in Texas seen wind like that. 80 + MPH wind....did you know you can actually SEE the wind when i blows that hard??? I stood back away from the door windows (which are small and sturdy) so I could at least see some of what was going on (hello, i LOVE storms!!)....the rest of the time i spent pacing the hallway with Kenlee (chad and Kai at church) and worrying how Kai was doing (since he hates storms). I couldn't BELIEVE how long the wind lasted too... We lost quite a few shingle patches and the rest of our fence. It looked so much worse as it was occurring...i saw one of the patches fly from the roof....that was wild. We had no power for 12 hours (which was better than most in my area) and had to stay at my mother-in-laws for the evening. The storms never let up, so Kai, Chad and myself shared a queen bed...Kai only there because he was scared. Kenlee slept in the other room and grunted her way to happiness (next item) and I flew through disposable diapers (another item) and all night long I thought about my freezer stash of milk.... I was never more glad to be home than I was on Thursday....and boy did we all take great naps!
* Kenlee is SUCH a noisy baby!! She's such a grunting/snorting sleeper. So bad, that at just one week, I put her in her room. (Kai slept with us, I believe 4 or 5 weeks) The night we stayed at Merrilee's because of the storm all night long I thought she was getting up just because I heard her snort. I keep the monitors low so I only hear crying at night otherwise, I'd never sleep. Hope, for her future husbands sake, she cuts that out! :)
* Diapers. I like cloth. I don't LOVE it like some people do. It is no easier / harder than disposables. The stink is the same. The biggest difference is the laundry and no blowouts. Yes, I do laundry (for just diapers) every other day. It doesn't take any time at all so I really can't complain although sometimes I want to. We've been four weeks without a blowout. This is huge. With Kai we got pooped on all of the time! Okay, not ALL the time, but enough to remember it. I often don't even know that she has pooped unless I hear or feel it as it occurs. They rock at containing messes! OH, and how can I forget the money. The other night I took disposable to my mother-in-laws and I was amazed at how many I went through. I don't think about the cloth diapers since all i have to do is wash and reload, but every time I pulled another disposable out I cringed! I haven't "saved" money yet per se, but starting this month I will...actually probably this week....if i had a brain I'd do a whole diaper follow up....
Kai runs down the hall, “I have to poop come with me.” Naturally, I go with him. I say, “Okay Kai poop big.” Kai responds, “Yeah, like a LION!” Ummmm....okay. Shortly there after he jumps off the pot...”No poop.” A few minutes later he runs back down the hall, “It’s back, I gotta poop” So we go back to the potty. He does poop and he looks back at it, “Oh, its just a baby lion.” SERIOUSLY?? Who says that stuff??
It was still humorous after the poop.... I wipe him and we leave the bathroom. I’m at the computer paying bills and he starts walking funny, “uhhh, we forgot to wipe.” Me, “no we didn’t.” Kai, “well, I’m still dirty, we gotta go back.” Sure enough....
Ahhhh....adventures with kids.
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
Things are going well. Its been much more of an adjustment than I was thinking. I know, how could I not know it would be an adjustment, but I just think that I thought since I had done this before it would come naturally...um, yeah, not so. Things are starting to even out some. I actually have worn makeup the last three days...wahoo....now if i could just wash my hair daily! :)
I'm not even what to share here....
** Kenlee slept 8 hours the last two nights. Of course, the 8 hours is preceded by a constant fussy nursing session from about 6-8 in the evening. BUT, its a lot easier to deal with those times this time since I've done it before with Kai AND since I"m being rewarded with sleep.
** Kenlee has a bit of a projectile issue that really threw me for a loop last week. I know, I know, babies do it all of the time. But Kai was tough as nails. Didn't matter what I ate, didn't matter if he burped, didn't matter how long he nursed....NO puking. It started on her 8th day...projectiling after almost every meal. Yes, I know the difference in projectile and spit-up. By Wednesday, with the help of still wavering hormones, I hit rock bottom. I just cried and cried and cried. I think it was because I felt so bad for her and because I was frustrated b/c I knew I was doing everything I knew to do. We had her adjusted twice and finally I took her to the doctor. God bless him, he knew I didn't want to medicate and he was so encouraging....I paid $30 to hear more encouragement and I'm totally cool with that. I have noticed when I have large quantities of dairy (ahem - ice cream) the vomiting picks up...yet, small doses (like cheese on eggs) don't bother her at all. So, I'm watching my dairy intake, holding her upright for 30 min after each meal (exhausting in the middle of the night), and making sure she doesn't over eat (which is hard when nursing but luckily she's taking a paci).
** Kai is adjusting. He's been awesome. Less time outside playing. Less of my attention. I feel like I fail him daily, but I know its all normal here in the beginning. At the same time, on those rough days, he reminds me that all of this passes and is temporary. He reminds me that I'm a good mom despite how I feel. He's started to get pretty defiant during nursing. Its like he knows I can't get up and spank him. UGH!
** Preschool has ended. I didn't realize how attached I was to Kai's preschool....I didn't realize how attached HE was. He was so sad on the last day. I have signed him up for 5 days during the summer, so that's good. BUT, he prays for Mrs Donna and Jacob every night and tells me often he misses his friends. I promise I'll do better about getting him out soon. His preschool sent us a CD of pictures through the year - I LOVE IT! They also sent home a folder of "work" he did from each month. I feel so attached to the school!!!
** Chad is blowing and going with film work. We are SO blessed. The timing may not always be ideal, but praise God that he has been 100% in film making (no training) for a year and a half now.
** Summer is here and I'm sad I haven't taken Kai to the pool. That was my favorite part of last summer. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have a decent schedule going where I can take Kai....um and wear my cover-up!! :)
** I need clothes, but its so hard because I don't intend to stay this size for long.
** I have two HUGE boxes of maternity clothes I'm not sure what to do with. They range all seasons....do I divide them up?? Do I donate them?? This is my last child. I plan to have my tubes tied at some point this year. What to do?!?!
** Nursing, while not always easy, is such a bonding time. I love it. Pumping, on the other hand, annoys me. While I want to have the milk, being stuck to the machine for 15 min at a time sticks. Even worse when my 3 year old stands there and stares at me.
** AH!! Kai and nursing....yeah, that has been funny. Quotes: "Mommy, why does Kenlee chew your nipple." "Mom, milk just came out of that nipple" "Kenlee needs to eat from you mommy." (PS - who taught my kid nipple)
Okay....that's enough randomness for now!!